Friday, May 29, 2015

Dreaming and waking and films

A funny thing happened in the nineties; after Jurassic Park and Toy Story and other computer-graphic films had me got thinking about composing paintings in three dimensions on a computer instead of in two dimensions on paper, my dreams changed. Normally I don't think super-clearly visually, and certainly not three-D-wise. But I started having some dreams which were very film-like and *very* three-dimensional. I remember one of them, flying up and down in the air with other creatures, one of them similar to Batman, only in a brown suit. This was also a dream where I knew I could never have imagined that being awake.

I think art has a purpose of coaxing us to create the dream (the World) intentionally, to help us realize it's all dreamed up. And I think 3D films do the same.
Similarly, take violent movies. I think they help us to face the group guilt by putting control and aesthetics and thought into imagery we would normally never look at if we could avoid it.

No comments: