Saturday, November 1, 2008

Spirit doesn't make anything happen

I think the below (particularly the first half) is one of the things which depart most radically from other spiritual traditions, even the most modern ones:

"The ego, or wrong mind, makes everything that appears to happen on the level of form. Spirit makes nothing happen on the level of form, which is why you shouldn't spiritualize events or objects in the universe. The right mind gives the Holy Spirit's interpretation of the level of form, leading you -- and by you we mean that observatory part of the mind that has identified with and thus bound itself to the ego -- back home. Home is unchangeable spirit."
-- The Disappearance Of The Universe, page 223


This is also one more explanation why it's fruitless to try and change the world: if spirit makes nothing happen in The World, what force is there to make this a "good world"?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I think the below (particularly the first half) is one of the things which depart most radically from other spiritual traditions, even the most modern ones ..."

...except Jed McKenna, as I have mentioned to you. Also in discourses from Osho you can find quotes like that. There are other exceptions, too, but I'm sure quite rarely. (You may have a look at the Advaita tradition.)

"In my world nothing ever goes wrong."
(Nisargadatta Maharaj) ... points in the same direction (at least in my understanding).

You had written to me in an email:
"The book ... hit me like a ton of bricks ..."

Exactly this happened to me with the books of Jed McKenna. I'm not ashamed to confess, that my tears were flowing even just when I mentioned his first book ("Spiritual Enlightement - The damnedest thing") to anybody, some years ago ... I was just touched very deeply, in my innermost core, and shattered - my mind didn't understand, but at the same time I enjoyed it in a way, feeling a deep resonance ...